Tonight I was at my kids school event, and a friend called me over to tell me that he ran into my blog post about the problems with Dropbox, and wondered if there is a good alternative and what I thought about the other solutions such as Evernote, to which I only have a little detail so far. I was planning on really digging into these solutions soon, but now seems like the time. So I’m going to be starting some research with my team to see what we can find.
So far there are the following solutions to dig into
- Dropbox – Already know some of the problems. Has some add-ons popping up to help with security byt generally breaks multi-platform support
- Evernote – Solid player in the space, but there are problems to look into
- SugarSync – Another decent looking solution, but need to dig into it more
- Box.net – Decent looking as well, but will research
- SparkleShare - Nice looking Open Source project to have your own service.
- RubyDrop - Another Open Source project to have your own Dropbox like service
I’m looking forward to finding out what can be learned in this process, and maybe after finding the collective set of problems, I can offer suggestions to those looking for a solution.
Its even possible that I could some up with suggestions on how to solve the problems so that they may be avoided by other entries into the market.
Will keep you posted on my progress…
Last updated byat .